Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker (CAIB)
Do not use the links below if you wish to register for a paper exam
- Registration for the Online CAIB exam in the Lower Mainland . Find out how to book an exam time at the IBABC offices.
- Registration for the Online CAIB exam for students elsewhere in BC
- CAIB 1 or Fundamentals of Insurance for Level 1 licensing: Which to choose
- Gain the CAIB Online advantage! Register for CAIB Prep Online now!
Please select a popular topic
- Overview - The Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker program
- How To Register for a Paper Exam
- How to Register for an Online Exam
- CAIB Exam Preparation and Study Options
- CAIB Exam Information and Policy
- CAIB Discussion Leaders' Guides
- Continuing Education Credits
The Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker (CAIB) program is a national, professional designation program by the Insurance Brokers Association of Canada (IBAC).
CAIB courses will acquaint producers more fully with the major coverage's that generate 90% of premium volume. They also deal with marketing management and office operations and prepare the student for proprietor-licensing examinations.
Students completing all four parts of the CAIB program are required to be an employee (or principal) of a member in good standing of IBABC to qualify for the CAIB designation. Terms of Reference for CAIB Designation. Students who do not qualify will receive a certificate of completion.
You do not have to be licensed to take a CAIB course. The courses may be taken in any order, although beginning with CAIB 1 is recommended.
Please note, the cost of all CAIB materials now includes GST for both member brokers and non-member brokers This is effective March 1, 2014
DATE AND LOCATION FIELDS MUST BE FILLED OUT ON THE REGISTRATION FORM. REGISTRATION FORMS WITH THE LOCATION AND DATE LEFT BLANK WILL BE REGISTERED AS "TO BE ANNOUNCED". STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR FILLING OUT THE FORM ACCURATELY AND COMPLETELY. IBABC IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CORRECTING OR VERIFYING ANY INFORMATION SUBMITTED ON THE REGISTRATION FORM.
If you have paid for your exam and registered with a "To Be Announced" registration date or deferred your exam and wish to change the date, we still require the form be filled out and submitted via fax, email as PDF or mail.
You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view registration forms in PDF file format. Click here for a free download.
Please note: IBabc does not accept registration without PAYMENT. Registration and payment must be received before the registration deadline. This includes payments by cheque.
2014/2015 CAIB 1-4 Exam Dates
CAIB 1-4 online exams are now available at the IBABC office in downtown Vancouver and in major centres around BC.
Important information for the online exam:
PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT BRING LARGE BAGS/PURSES, YOUR TEXTBOOK OR VALUBLES TO YOUR EXAM AS THERE IS NO PLACE TO STORE THEM. DO NOT ARRIVE FOR YOUR EXAM MORE THAN 15 MINUTES EARLY. DO NOT BRING FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS AS OUR LOBBY CANNOT ACCOMMODATE ADDITIONAL PEOPLE IN THE WAITING AREA. NO FOOD OR DRINK IS ALLOWED IN THE EXAM ROOM. THANK YOU FOR YOU COOPPERATION.
- Exam consists of multiple choice, definition and short answer questions for CAIB 1-3 and the long form answers for CAIB 4
- Students have 3.5 hours to complete the exam.
- The passing grade is 60% for each level.
- CAIB online exam marks will be available 7 days after the day students completes the exam and will be provided by email.
- The cost of the exam is $375.
- The cost to re-write the exam is $189.
- The process for ordering CAIB textbooks remains the same. DO NOT CHOOSE THE SELF STUDY OPTION ON THE REGISTRATION FORM IF YOU WISH TO WRITE THE ONLINE CAIB EXAM. CHOOSE TEXTBOOK ONLY AND CLICK TO REGISTER FOR THE ONLINE EXAM. The order from can be found here.
The paper exam availably and dates remain in place and unchanged by the availability of the online CAIB exam. Please click here to register for the paper exam.
CAIB Exam Preparation and Study Options
Students can prepare to take each level of CAIB exam in several ways. For details on all study options, please see our CAIB FAQ page. For other useful study links, see the list below:
Useful Exam Preparation Links:
- Click here for a CAIB program syllabus
- Click here to learn more about the CAIB Immersion and CAIB online options.
- What are the CAIB program options?
- Learn about how and when to write the CAIB exam.
- Click here to download the Exam Preparation Guide: CAIB 1 [240 KB], CAIB 2 [242 KB], CAIB 3 [244 KB], CAIB 4 [288 KB]
- Click here for study tips and planning
Time allowed: 3.5 hours
Passing grade: 60%
The exam is comprised of short answer, definitions and multiple choice questions.
Results are available online (for students who have retained their student numbers from their exams) approximately 2 weeks after the examination has been written and mark cards will be mailed directly to the student after all examinations have been marked. Marks are not available by phoning the Association office.
Examinations may be re-written for a fee applicable each time. You may write an exam three times in a row but will then have to wait six months before a further attempt will be recognized by the Insurance Council of BC if the exam is being written for licensing purposes.
Students who fail to show for an examination forfeit the examination fee and are required to pay the prescribed rewrite fee on registering for a subsequent examination.
Any breach of examination instructions will result in immediate disqualification and the student will not be allowed to rewrite the examination for a period of one year. The subsequent examination fee will be the full "Exam Only" fee and not the rewrite fee.
If you are enrolled in the Self Study or Exam Only options, you must notify the Association office in writing of your intention to write an examination by the registration deadline.
Examinations may be remarked on request. Remark requests must be submitted in writing within 10 business days of receiving the result, A fee of $75 is applicable without exception for all re-mark requests.
Please be aware that any exam scoring between 55 and 59 percent has already been remarked, free of charge, prior to the result posting on online in order to ensure the accuracy of all results.
CAIB Discussion Leaders' Guides
Available for CAIB 1-4, the CAIB Discussion Leaders' Guides are available to Level 3 Nominees at Member Brokerages for $530 per CAIB level. The Leaders' Guides were conceived of as a way to simplify the organization of in-house CAIB discussion groups for brokerages and their licensing students. IBABC wanted to respond to the needs of students who are restricted by budget or time constrains from participating in the IBABC CAIB Immersion courses. By offering a valuable alternative to Immersion, we believe that the guides are a great opportunity for those who prefer a less intensive classroom environment or require local, evening or weekend group options.
The materials included for each level of CAIB are:
• A how-to guide for creating class timelines and lesson plans
• A pre-prepared lesson plan
• A how-to guide for facilitating adult learning and effective discussion leadership
• Discussion guides and notes for each chapter in the textbook
• A review guide for the practice exam
• Chapter and section checkpoints for the textbook
• Practice exam and markers' guide
• Key terms and definitions insert
• A learning game
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Once textbooks are shipped from the IBABC office they become the non returnable property of the purchaser. Cancellation/refund requests received before shipment will receive a full refund less a $55 administration fee. Cancellation/refund requests received after shipment of texts will receive the amount paid less the cost of the textbook and a $55 administration fee. All cancellations, transfers and/or refund requests must be submitted in writing to the IBABC.
Students who have taken a CAIB course since their last license renewal will receive Continuing Education credits based on the results of their exam.